Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dinner Recipe #1

This is the start of my recipe series-  Healthy Dinners on a Budget. 
As we all try to say fit with exercise we have to make sure that we maintain a  healthy diet also.  The trickiest part is getting your family to go along.  I hope in posting some of these recipes I can show you how I incorporate both.

First recipe   Chicken Lasagna Rolls 

Serves 8 
Original Recipe:
8 Lasagna Noodles
2 Eggs
2 Cups of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 Container  (15 oz) of Ricotta Cheese
3/4 cup Parsley chopped
1 cooked Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast ( 8 oz)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/8 tsp pepper
1 jar of spaghetti sauce  ( you could also use Alfredo Sauce)

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook and drain the pasta according to package directions.  In large  bowl combine eggs, cheeses, 1/2 cup parsley, chicken, salt, basil and pepper.  Spread about 1/3 cup cheese mixture on each lasagna noodle.  Roll up in a jelly roll fashion.  Cut each roll in half.  Arrange rolls in a single layer in a 9x13 inch baking dish.  Spoon Sauce over top; cover with foil.  Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until heated through.


I made some alternations to the original recipe:
1) WW Lasagna Noodles
2) Cottage Cheese instead of Ricotta Cheese (because the price of cottage cheese was half the price of Ricotta Cheese this week).  They are great substitutions for eachother.
3) Not as much parsley because mine wasn't fresh.

Your kids can help with this meal buy mixing up the cheese mixture and helping out rolling up the lasagna noodles.  

Check out the price break down of this meal  (depending upon where you shop your prices may vary)

8oz of Chicken  (.60)
Lasagna Noodles (.50)  -  I purchased the box for $1 but still have half of it left
Cottage Cheese (.75) -  I purchased 24 oz container  for $1 and only used 15  oz
Mozzarella Cheese ($1.00)
Egg -  . 27 cents ( as I only used 2 out of the dozen)
Spaghetti Sauce - $1 ( I had my own canned, but I know you can purchase it for this price)

Total :  $4.12     for a total of 8 servings that equals .52 a serving.  


We all ate dinner and still have left overs for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment