These are one of our favorite snack treats in our house. As fast as I make them they disappear.
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan
2. In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the honey, egg , oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes in a preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut the bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to coll completely before cutting or they will be to hard to cut. ( my bars were done in 20 minutes)
1) I use Whole Wheat Flour
2) I only use 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
3) Instead of 1/2 cup vegetable oil, I use 12 Tbs Flaxseed and 1/4 cup oil. If I double the recipe , instead of 1/2 cup of oil I will use 1/4 applesauce and 1/4 cup of oil , along with double flaxseed
4) Instead of raisins I have put cranberries, peanut butter, jelly, chocolate chips, plain. This addition is wide open.
Price Breakdown: for a double batch Depending upon where and how you shop your prices may vary
Oatmeal -. 53
Brown Sugar - .50
Wheat Germ - .90
Raisins - . 93
Flaxseed - 1.87
Total cost = $7.11 This makes approx 34 granola bar squares. = .20 a piece.
This can be made ahead and froze.
This was requested by my 6 year old for his class snack. He took it in and returned home with an empty container.
People often ask : What do your kids eat for snacks? These are 2 different plates that were served to my kids after school, on different days . My 4 year old said " Mom, there are some awesome foods on this plate"