Monday, January 23, 2012

Recipe #5

Granola Bars-

These are one of our favorite snack treats in our house.  As fast as I make them they disappear. 

2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup raisins
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup  vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan
2.  In large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt.  Make a well in the center and pour in the honey, egg , oil and vanilla.  Mix well using your hands.  Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes in a preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges.  Cool for 5 minutes, then cut the bars while still warm.  Do not allow the bars to coll completely  before cutting or they will be to hard to cut.    ( my bars were done in 20 minutes)

Alterations :

1) I use Whole Wheat Flour
2) I only use 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
3) Instead of 1/2 cup vegetable oil, I use 12 Tbs Flaxseed and 1/4 cup oil.  If I double the recipe , instead of 1/2 cup of oil I will use  1/4 applesauce and 1/4 cup of oil , along with double flaxseed
4) Instead of raisins I have put cranberries, peanut butter, jelly,  chocolate chips, plain. This addition is wide open.


Price Breakdown:  for a double batch    Depending upon where and how you shop your prices may vary

Oatmeal  -. 53
Brown Sugar - .50
Wheat Germ - .90
Flour-  .30
Raisins - . 93
Honey-  1.92
Egg- .16
Flaxseed  -   1.87
Total cost =  $7.11      This makes approx 34 granola bar squares.  =  .20  a piece. 

This can be made ahead and froze.
This was requested by my 6 year old for his class snack.  He took it in and returned home with an empty container.  








People often ask :  What do your kids eat for snacks?  These are 2 different plates that were served to my kids after school, on different days .   My 4 year old said  " Mom,  there are some awesome foods on this plate"


No comments:

Post a Comment