Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Recipe #6

Blueberry Lemon Muffins 

These things are soooo good,  my kids request these all the time.

1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 Tablespoons soft tub margarine, chilled
1 cup lowfat lemon yogurt
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup of yellow squash puree
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1) Preheat ovet ot 350.  Coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper cups.
2)  In a large bowl, beat the sugar and the margarine with a wooden spoon.  Stir in the yogurt, blueberries, yellow squash puree, egg, lemon extract and lemon zest.
3) Add the flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir just to combine, but do not overmix-  the batter is supposed to be lumpy.
4) Divide the batter among the muffin cups.  Bake until the top of the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick come out clean.  13- 16 minutes.  Turn muffins onto a rack to cool
5)  Store in an airtight container at room tempearture for up to 2 days.  Or wrap and freeze.

Alterations:
1) I always double this recipe when I make it  (because we eat them so fast)
2) When doubled I only put in 3/4 of a cup of brown sugar
3) I use lemon Greek yogurt 
4)  I didnt have any lemon extract ,  so I just added lemon juice
5) I use Whole Wheat flour
 6) I didn't have anymore yellow squash, so I used pureed zucchini in instead


Price breakdown for a double batch  ( which yielded me 39 muffins)
3/4 cup brown sugar - .50
2 Greek lemon yogurt - 2.00
Blueberries- 1.00  ( not exactly sure as these were frozen from the summer)
Zuchinni - ?  ( not exactly sure as this was taken out of garden and pureed)
4 cups of flour- 1.20
1/2 cup of flaxseed- 1.87
2 eggs-  .16


Approx total ( as I dont have the exact prices of some of the stuff,  but you will get the idea)      $6.73         This amount made 39 muffins =  .17/ muffin

Yummy!!!!  I will say though, eat them fast or freeze them.  There are so many fresh ingredients in this recipe they will start to go bad after 2 days if not frozen.  But most of the time we eat them that fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment