Pizza Dough / Pizza
This is the recipe I follow
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided (or mix or whole-wheat and all-purpose flour)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (about 105-100 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour , 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky. You may not need all the flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky.
Oil a large mixing bowl with remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place, free from drafts until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375
Remove risen dough from bowl and roll out on slightly greased pizza pan. Bake for 14 minutes ( so dough can precook). Take out of oven and add sauce, cheese , your favorite toppings. Place back in oven and cook for 15 minutes (or until cheese is melted)
1) I use all whole wheat flour
2) I make 2 pizzas at a time. Do not double the recipe as the dough will be to hard to work with but just have 2 bowls going at the same time.
This week we just made simple pepperoni pizzas
Here is the price breakdown (for 2 pizzas) . Depending upon where and how you shop your price may vary
Yeast - .12
Honey - .08
6 cups of flour - .90
1 pound of cheese- $2
sauce - $1
package of pepperoni - $1
Total cost for 2 pizzas - $5.10 or $2.05/ per pizza. Depending upon how large you cut your pieces your serving size can vary. But we made this on Saturday, fed 5 kids and 2 adults and still had pizza left over.