Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Healthy Eating



As fellow bloggers have been discussing trying to eat healthy to help our running / fitness.  I thought I would talk a little about our garden harvest this summer.   For the past 3 years, we have had  what we call a 'community garden', it really isn't for the whole community but really just for 3 family's ( ours and 2 others).  Our goal every year is to plant enough vegetables to yield us enough product for the year.    Not sure what happened this year but our garden went crazy.  Ya, we planted a little more this year but holy cow.  When we came home from our vacation this summer we didn't even have time to unpack, we had to get the vegetables out of the garden or they would of gone bad.    So far this is what we have yielded for just our house ( I have no idea how much stuff the other two families have, but if I had to guess, I would guess close to the same amount)
61 bags of 2 cup portions of shredded zucchini
65 bags of 1 cup portions of pureed zucchini
33 bags of 1 cup portions  of pureed yellow squash
7 gallon size bags of broccoli
130 cut up zucchini medallions (breaded ) for future frying
40 cucumbers
85 pint size jars of canned green beans

We have had a few weeks break while the next harvest turned.  But now it is tomato season. My husband came home on Monday with this
 

Not quite ripe yet
Ripe




Almost ripe
Almost  Almost ripe
      



  These tomatoes are sitting in brown paper bags ripening up fast.       









My husband informed me that he will be coming up tomorrow with just as many, if not more tomatoes.  Yummy. I see lots of salsa, spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce making in our future.  



This is what is left of our zucchini and squash. Trying to get creative on what to make with it. 


           






We also have grape vines down our driveway that are about at peak.  So I will have to start picking those off to make some Grape juice and jelly.

Love the healthy food.       Even though I will admit that it does take time to make homemade stuff, but  it is so worth it.!!  I know exactly what is in it-  there is no High Fructose Corn Syrup in any of my stuff!!!!

Happy Healthy Eating everyone-  .  Trying to gear up for the 5 mile run I have to get in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment